1/31/10

Current Reading



I am about half way through Josh Harris' new book. It is a an excellent and accessible introduction to theology and the christian life told within the context of his life and experience. Josh is an accomplished writer and a pastor of Covenant Life Church in Gaithersburg, MD.

One notable quote: " ...if you want to feel deeply, you have to think deeply. Too often we seperate the two...But emotion built on emotion is empty. True emotion--emotion that is reliable and doesn't lead us astray-- is always a response to reality, to truth. It's only as we study and consider truth about Jesus with our minds that our hearts will be moved by the depth of his greatness and love or us."

This is a good book filled with links between right thinking and both right feeling and right doing. I highly recommend this book as I do all Josh's books.

2 comments:

Kyle LaPorte said...

I cant wait to read this. I really like how its written. But how in the world did Donald Millers name get on the cover? Is that a misprint?

Unknown said...

I'm reading this book right now, and the quote you put up on the blog is the heart of the book! I've experienced the danger of both emotion without truth (I think my "conversion" was an example of this,) and of seeking knowledge without any emotional response. The idol of seeking knowledge is SO enthralling! Because you are seeking something that is very good! You can even lie to yourself so much that you think you're actually seeking God. But the knowledge of God, as an end in itself, is not God! Josh Harris hits the nail on the head with that quote! Thanks for posting!

Post a Comment